Sunday, December 13, 2009

Brasilia

After the touristy Igassu falls, it was time to go to a far less visited destination: the capital of Brazil. It is a pretty crazy idea to build a capital in the 1950`s out of nowhere. The city is divided around 2 main axes which give it the shape of a plane or a bow. People leave in districts called quadras. Every quadra hosts 3000 people, a school, a supermarket..That is to say, there is not such a thing as a city center and the distances are huge. This city designed in the 50`s is made for our 4 wheels friends:car. Therefore all the main avenues are empty and lifeless.. Not what we would expect from Brazil! But we more or less knew what to expect and we found it fascinating: Traveling around the city made us feel like an old science fiction movie. Especially that the city has many very cool buildings designed by Niemeyer and his peer architects.
Shame on us (in the middle of the Copenhaguen submit) we rented a car..In such a city designed for cars, it was definetely the best option. And Google Translate has been a great friend when we rented the car as no one in the renting car company could speak English: I hope the contract in Portugese we signed didn´t include some dodgy conditions (such as give a kidney or you first new born..).



On our last night, we adventured ourselves in a quadra: the streets were pretty dark and didn´t look to inviting but once we were in the center of the quadra, we discovered signs of life:) A lighted shopping street and very animated bars where we had some ´choppes` and some Brazilian fingerfood.
Very suprising fact is that waiters are tend to `tip` us. If the bill is 42 Reals and we give 50, they sometimes give us back 10 (btw 2 reals equal to 0,80 euros). We are probably so nice consumers that they can´t but tip.

7 comments:

  1. I love your blog.I review all your blogs And get great info and knowledge about Brazil>i have to travel to Brazil during my next vacation.The knowledge you shared in the post helps me during my travel time to Brazil.Thanks for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Shear...!!!!
    I am planing to visit Brazil at the time of Rio carnival. I want to participate in carnival and want to do Samba dance. I am planing my Brazil trip from last two years but this time is sure. Good travel knowledge i get from this post about Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experience. I had recently visited India and stayed their at a vacation rental.
    I would like to thanks www.theotherhome.com for providing me such a beautiful experience.
    Anybody who is at a visit to India can also try their services.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post and I like to read it very much. I visited here during my Brazil vacation and had great experience. Thank you very much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can fly to the beautiful city of Brasilia via the Brasília International Airport – President Juscelino Kubitschek Airport, which is located around 11 kilometers from the city center.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...That's Slideshare Images are Amazing..I really like your blog.Your Brazila Experience is good.Thanks for sharing Brazila Information.

    ReplyDelete